We want it all because food should be delicious... even when you're on an elimination diet and it has to be allergen-free!

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Meals on Saturday, 7/4/15

Today we are going to my parents' house for a 4th of July cookout. They are making hamburgers that are made of nothing but ground beef, seasoned with salt and grilled.

Mom will provide the usual toppings, most of which most of us can't have: lettuce (we'll use arugula), tomato (only a couple of us can have it), onion, pickles (nope-not for any of us), ketchup/mayo/mustard (which none of us can have).

I mashed up some avocado (for those of us who can have it) to take the place of mayonnaise. I also chilled some cucumber slices, which I "marinated" in celery salt and dill. These are a very lame substitute for a pickle, I tell you! And no amount of anything can make up for a lack of ketchup/mayo/mustard on a burger! (And don't even get me started about cheese!)

I will make Sizzling Napa Salad and some sort of something to try to serve as a gluten-free, wheat-free, egg-free, yeast-free hamburger bun. (Yeah, right!) Here's the recipe I came up with: Everything-Free Bread.

My daughter EV is making Oven-Baked Crispy Fries.

Reflection:
Well, there really is no substitute for condiments on a burger! The buns were actually quite good--kind of a biscuit-like texture, but they held up to a burger without crumbling--but the burgers themselves were very dull and boring. Mashed avocado, meat, arugula, dilly cucumbers, sweet onion, and tomato tastes pretty bland when you're used to something more. I think the goat cheese mixed into the meat is important to help with the flavor. And maybe add some fresh jalapeƱo as a topping just so there's something exciting going on!

The fries were amazing, and the saltiness was a welcome complement to the relatively dull burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment